Thursday, June 13, 2013

Bukit Batok West Avenue 8

At noon, I stumbled upon this quiet piece of HDB estate because I had an errand to run. Far from the main heartland of Bukit Batok, this area has a skate park where anyone can paint streetart on its walls legally and with the permission of the authorities. There were no skateboarders when I was there, only a few children riding their scooter bikes around the skate park ramps. I decided to walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the peace and quietness of a weekday at a time when no one really relishes going outdoors because of the intense heat of the day. Surprisingly I did not feel hot nor was I bothered by the extreme temperature of the day. 
 An old school playground that I am sure gave the kids who live in this area enough fun to keep them away from their pcs and what not when the sun is about to retire.
The estate was clean and green with a variety of trees that have stood their ground for a number of years here.
A place in the void deck where people could meet to exchange stories and happenings in their lives. I guess I am referring to the elderly citizens who were nowhere to be found at that time as it was lunch time.
A nice and cool corner where people could sit and relax in the evening.
A kind old lady feeding a stray cat with canned food.
I like the curlers in her hair and the fact that she took the time and effort to take care of a homeless animal.
Neat shelters that make it pleasant for people to get home in the rain.
Red is the colour of good luck.
Colourful sarongs with pretty prints caught my eye.
This quiet estate has western as well as TCM practitioners.
A modern laundromet. I cannot imagine who would use it as I am sure every household has a washing machine.
All the snacks you need to reduce the stress of living - work, taking exams, studying etc.
Tuition is available at the RC - not cheap though.
I just love the greenery.
Usually, I would just melt in the heat. The mature trees and surrounding greenery made a great difference to those out in the open.
Approaching a Siamese Temple that has been around here for years.
Their lease is up and I hope that they will find the funds to be able to stay where they are.
Typical HDB designs of old.
Prayer flags outside a Chinese Temple next to the Buddhist Temple.
Stage for a puppet show performance. I haven't seen one in years and the last time I saw the stage and the puppets were at the National Museum.



Walking back, I saw this Malay lady trying her best to shield herself and the child from the rays of the scorching sun.
Across the road, stood a bus stop and these beautiful trees.
Pine trees in Singapore have proven to be the most adaptable trees in the world.
Identity proclamation.
A coffee shop under renovation.
A fengshui water feature to bring in good luck.
The colours of life in a HDB housing estate.

My favourite circular seat.
I love stone furniture.

Going back to the playground.


Some paintwork needed here. I was looking at the herb garden maintained by people in the neighbourhood who were interested in gardening.

There is no need to live in an overpriced condominium to enjoy BBQ facilities under the shade of coconut trees.
And voila! The Bukit Batok Skate Park!
 If you walk around it, you will see this old man who seems to have been asleep here for a hundred years. 

 Grafitti or Streetart. It's just art and more walls should be made available all over our island for our young and talented to paint on and for others to enjoy or just ponder upon.

Walking back to the carpark.

Random shot of grandma and kid going home for lunch.
A unique windchime.
Cool and cozy corner for the residents of this estate to gather and bond.
This estate is neat and clean and has facilities that are simple and that I am sure are appreciated by the residents.


New seats along the corridor for folks to sit and perhaps to rest their tired legs enroute home from the market.
I hope that there are many HDB estates tucked away in some corner like this one where people have homes that they love and enjoy.



No comments: